Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Nostalgic & Summer



I love summer!
I don't even care if it's 110 degrees outside, because I love the slow down.  
No more homework, no more books......

 I won't lie when I say that I love summer but this one has made me a touch weepy.

Y'all I have a middle schooler AND a senior!?!? 

My favorite quote is
'The days are long but the years are short'
(one of the truest things ever). 



We have been working so hard to get our vitamin D in this month.  
I have been to the pool so much, I told Carlee I have to take a break before I get sun poisoning.  
Even with 100 SPF and a hat, my skin really dries out after a pool day
(one of the great things about getting old).

 

The pool is just one of the few things that make me nostalgic lately.  Each year I look out into the blue and review all the levels from 2 to 10 ft.   It brings back so many memories. 

I see the TIRED mommies with the babies, floats, pull ups, and fifty bags of supplies (the babies are precious).  

I see the next phase of mommies with the kids who are learning to swim while they hold them up and down (in and out/ screaming over the sunscreen). 

My Connor headed to the next phase of the pool. 

The next level(s) are the mommies that are watching their children jump off the side, rope, and slide about a million times.

Finally the time comes where one can land the coveted spot of the "teen section".  This is near the diving board, and this is where you finally get to read and relax and let the kids do their own thing. 
(Of course, at this point one is old, tired, and wearing an XL bathing suit around the youngsters that have gravity free skin 😜).


Speaking of old...
Our boys have been driving, working, and kick-balling it this summer.
One of these fellows is getting ready to start his very last first day of school.

😢 I. Can't. 

                                         





I started this blog in 2011- Connor had not yet began kindergarten.  I had no idea how long I would document or what the journey would bring.   
Back then the few pictures I placed in the blog were a little grainy with mostly stories and gosh awful grammatical errors. 
I limited names and pictures of other kids.  
Technology and social media made an impact, making it easier to share photos with quick notes of 'goings on'.  


This was one of my very first 'blog' pictures of Connor (pre Carlee).



Documenting your children when they are young is a bit easier than when they grow as teens.  I've shared the good, the bad, and the ugly through The Unbalanced Chronicles for 12 years.
I have found people really appreciate and relate to the humor even in the most serious situations. 


babies

Now I have to be more cautious of my kids privacy as they grow while being mindful of how people may also interpret my words.  
I've definitely been under fire for my honesty.
To that I say-
just wait until I retire people.  
I will bring allllll the tea to my empty nesters.  ;)



As time changes, so does my direction.  
Do I want to continue to blog?  
Without always adding the kids- should I share my writings? wonderings? hobbies for old people?
I'm just not sure but my creative juices must be expressed. 

Speaking of change- at the start of summer I got a NEW CAR 
(not new, but new to me)!!!

I decided to give up the mini van.  

Even Brennan was sad to see it go!  He said it was as much of his childhood as anything.  He speaks the truth because despite the fact I haven't driven any boys in a while, I found like 8 balls, not to mention the ten complimentary nerf bullets left in the van.  🤣




Ole red was a good one. 


Darren is the KING of looking for used cars.  He can find the best deals and the best cars.

I wanted to downsize, since basically I'm Carlee's chauffeur these days.  (Another nostalgic miss- talking to Connor in the car and getting all the info.)


I decided on the Mazda. 


Don't worry- no kids were harmed in the making of this photo.
We were moving 5MPH on a country road.  We made Connor get out and take a picture of the girls hanging out of the sun roof like in a movie.  

 
Of course after the purchase,  I decided to "jazz" up the Mazda with a little 60s vibe.


Everyone hates it (which means they won't be driving my car so much)!




Just call me Hippie Cool! 



Since I was car shopping, we didn't get to really go anywhere, 
so we made our annual Dave and Busters trip. 


 

Mario Kart is ageless. 


 Look at this Hungry Hippo game!?!
Some things are forever cool





Trying to take a fourth of July pic like...




I can't wait to see what the next chapter brings!
Happy Fourth & Happy Summer 




No comments:

Post a Comment