Friday, August 12, 2016

Riffing Baywatch


Two of my summer favorites- Baywatch and Mystery Science Theater 3000 (coming to a Netflix soon)!

MST3000 is a show where Joel and his robot friends are trapped in space and forced to watch a series of B movies.  They make fun and comment over the movie as it is being played (called riffing*).  I find it hilarious.  
Here is a clip:  

As a kid I loved, loved Baywatch.  Everyone was so gorgeous and lifeguarding seemed so exciting.  I think I even remember a series of books I read called "The Lifeguards".  Based on the cover, I'm sure it is just as corny.



 We would even play "Baywatch/ Lifeguards" at the pool.


The Hoff
Today, I'm thinking, 'how did this show make it?' It is very cheesy (but cheesy awesome).
I also find it hilarious.
It certainly has more slow motion scenes then any show ever!  Even though there is a lot of skin, the storylines are actually quite tame by today's standards.
I hear they are making a new Baywatch with an all new cast.  It sounds interesting.

The kids and I decided to combine these two shows and make our own riff*:  
MST3000- Baywatch Edition!!  

We put a lot of work in this 5 minute clip. 
(I know I'm taking my kids right down nerd highway with me.)

I hope you enjoy the extra special cheesiness we bring!


Carlee thinks its hillarious.
Connor thinks this is the stupidist thing we've ever done.  ;)

*riff
rif/
verb
gerund or present participle: riffing
  1. play musical riffs.
    "the other horns would be riffing behind him"
    • perform a monologue or spoken improvisation on a particular subject.
      "he also riffs on racism and the economy"

No comments:

Post a Comment