Saturday, November 14, 2015

Life in Motion by Misty Copeland



Do you know where I heard about Misty Copeland?

A Diet Dr. Pepper Commercial

If there is one thing I love, it is a story of someone overcoming adversity to let their greatness reach full potential.
When I watched that Dr. Pepper commercial, I immediately googled this girl and I have been a fan ever since.  
When she published her story, I had to roll coins  because I could not wait to buy and read it!  

Misty Copeland is the first African American ballerina prompted as principal dancer in New York City's esteemed American Ballet Theater.

What makes her story so remarkable is that she didn't take her first ballet class until age 13 at the San Pedro Boys and Girls Club after school program. 

Misty Copeland on Toe after ONE year of ballet lessons


A ballet teacher with a good eye caught this prodigy and took her completely and fully under her wing.  After, would be a whirlwind of competition, family drama, and a national custody trial.



There were parts of her story that I could fully and painfully connect.  There were the parts where Misty wanted so desperately to make others around her happy while trying to make her own path.
The parts where she just didn't understand the choices made by her mother.
The love she still carries for her family.
I could understand every bit of it.



I personally loved this story.  I could see the ballet talk become a bit boring for most people, but you know I still envision myself a ballerina at heart (even though I have never had a lesson). 
I think Misty Copeland shows what can happen when a little luck, even more talent, and a lot of hard work is combined!



Five out of Five Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment