Saturday, June 6, 2020

Carlee Design on a Dime

Summer Project One:  Complete.  
Someone thinks she is a big girl now 



but she isn't, so she better stop thinking it. 
(Is that a Slim Jim in her hand?  🤣)



Carlee has begged me to re-decorate her room for a while.   This desire became even stronger when Connor rearranged his room.  

    
Racing Fan Much??

                                        

                                                         

I got Connor a new rug for his room but he says it's tacky and looks like a big piece of Fruit Stripe Gum 🤣.      
I might take it with me to my classroom.  

The problem with Carlee's room is that the furniture is pretty much locked in.  Her bunk beds take up half the room and can't be moved much.


Still, I decided since my big girl is leaving the primary grades we could update.  I was very prayerful in what I wanted to spend.  I mean let's face it- you could blow the household budget on a little girl's room.  

How dirty would this room get in two days?
How dirty would this room get in two days?

I thought it was time to replace Carlee's baby drawers (dark wood) and diaper changing table (Barbie Station USA).  
I also knew that new furniture at this time would be a little pricey so I started with a few small tweaks. 

Removed

                      
When I found several items 30% off (at Big Lots of all places) I was struck with inspiration.   I just knew Carlee would love this theme.
                                                        

                          
  
 Carlee knows all about Paris because she watches Fancy Nancy.  She J'adore Paris.  
                                


First I had to tackle: Operation Junk.   My child does not want to let go of ANYTHING.  She treasures all of her items (even the ones she hasn't seen or touched in years).

I hid all of the new things in my room until I could finally clean up hers.  I said "Carlee if you trust me, I will create a big girl room but you have to stay out of my way".   She didn't like it but she agreed (because she knew I had the goods).



One point of contention for us were- the dolls.  Carlee actually wanted all of her doll items removed.  I could not bear to get rid of anything doll related.  Carlee once played with her dolls for hours and hours. She would spend time making her doll house just perfect for her Barbie friends. Connor played with toys up until middle school.  Is it normal for girls to want to stop this so suddenly?  
Her new interests include art, drawing, WWE, making Youtube Content (that I won't allow her to upload), dress up, and dance/ tumbling.  No dolls for months.  😢

                      

While I packed a lot of it up to go downstairs (for safe keeping), I also kept some things in a tub under her bed.  I know the mood will strike her again one day because it will make me too sad if it doesn't. 

                                                
Once I got rid of the changing table there was a lot more space.  I turned her doll house into a cute storage area for her play makeup and extra books.  
                            

Carlee was so excited by all the changes!  She just LOVED it but then...    
I got a text from Darren saying that he had a friend who wanted to unload a dresser/ desk set for freeeeeeee!  

Seriously, it was exactly what I envisioned for her!
We were super excited.  Is God amazing or what!?!
                 
                This is Carlee's Design on a Dime 
                         and she LOVES it. 


Before:


After: 
 


Before:

After:

       




Before:

After:
   


Before:

After:

















No comments:

Post a Comment