Saturday, April 2, 2022

February/ March Reads (&Turkish Dramas)


It has truly been a crazy two months at work but I did fit in some reading and Turkish Dramas (more on my addiction later). 


I finally finished the "Good Buy Girls" series (5 in all).  
It's like Hallmark meets Scooby Doo in a book series.  
Nothing too taxing in the plot.  
Buried in Bargains- this one finds Maggie and the hottie- hot Sheriff from her past teaming up to save the deli owner accused of murder.  This one was my favorite and featured a sweet side story of a returning soldier.

Marked Down for Murder- Sam and Maggie are together but now they have to find the murderer that has framed Maggie's ENEMY - Summer.  Summer and Maggie's bickering began to grate on my nerves.  (These are 40 year old women for heaven's sake!)
I did like the realistic way Maggie battled telling Sam she did NOT want more children.

All Sales Final- I thought we were dragging at this point but it did close the series with the Good Buy Girls, a wedding, a ghost, and more mystery to solve.  


This is my all time favorite Valentine Re Read. 
I've read it 5 times.  
I heart Susan Elizabeth Phillip, and her Wynette, Texas series is my favorite. 
This book is truly an opposite attracts story.
Our female lead is Meg- a wild, spoiled reckless brat who meets a Type A, overachieving small town hero.
To further complicate matters, our main lead was stood up at the altar byMeg's best friend.
Like all SEP books, the best part of the story is the growth the female character makes in the book.  I love how Meg finds her creativity and  true gifts.




I fell in LOVE with Nora Roberts when I was a college student.  Her Irish Hearts books were on display at the store I worked at and I "borrowed" a copy to read.  The rest is history.  After that I read everything I could written by her.  My favorites include - The Vineyard, Private Scandals, and Birthright.    
Sadly in recent years, her books have all seemed the same to me.  They have either dragged on or just painfully obvious.
When I learned Netflix would be featuring Brazen Virtue- I HAD to read it. 
After I read it I realized-
 I didn't have to read it.  
Grace McCabe (an award winning crime writer) is visiting her sister Kathleen who is a high school teacher.  To make a little side hustle ( to gain money to win custody of her son), Kathleen begins one of those 1- 900 phone operator jobs (this was pre-internet).  Someone becomes obsessed with Kathleen and kills her leaving Grace to solve the crime.
I think Nora was trying to meet a deadline with this book.   It started very interesting for me but then in the middle all mystery was gone.  I didn't love the relationship between the sisters.  Also, I could have thunked Kathleen in the head a few times (some of her choices were STUPIDDDD).  
 


Netflix- Brazen Virtue 
I could have lived without watching this too.
(You know I love me some "Who's the Boss".)

It wasn't terrible,  
you just need a very vivid imagination to believe ANYTHING that happens in it.  Is a police chief REALLY going to give a crime writer FULL access over the case in one day?!?
Is the sister going to have sexy times like a day after the gruesome murder of her sister!?!
The characters didn't quite match the visual I had in my mind/ book description:
I do commend the team for trying to update the scenario(s) to the 21st century, and Sam Page is pretty easy on the eyes.
 Now go and enjoy for yourself.



I think I ran across this in a Dr, Oz article and purchased it on a discount rack.  
Laura Prepon is an actress who played on That 70s Show and Orange is The New Black.  I personally believe in the power of meal prepping, so I was curious about her plan that suggest it helps you "lose stubborn pounds and thrive".  I relate to anyone who says they are absolutely exhausted all the time because that is ME.  There are a lot of helpful things in this book that I found interesting but nothing cutting edge.  I'm not sure I would recommend.  The meal prep is simply a combination of protein, complex carbs, and veggies.  I can easily pull the meals together but it does me little good when I binge eat the cupcakes in the teacher's lounge.  I do think the yoga stretches for the the liver/gallbladder are good.  I do believe the science behind making a good bone broth are effective (if you have time for that kind of thing).  
I admire those who can meal prep and stick to it.


Middle School Reads:


Loved this one.  I wish I could do a WHOLE book study with my middle schoolers. 
Why? 
because it showcases that people are NOT allowed to make you feel uncomfortable even if it's meant to be called flirting or "being friendly".  

7th grader Mila finds herself the center of attention overnight.  It starts out as small comments but escalates to small touches.   It was interesting how those around Mila responded, and how hard it was for Mila to communicate to her overworked and overwhelmed mother. 
I related to sweet Mila so much.  1. because I too developed this type of attention overnight 2. it happened in the band room. 3. I felt it was my fault. 4. I told a teacher and they said 'aw. He's just flirting with you'. 
 I see this type of behavior every single day.  The only component this book left out was the pressure that social media puts on young girls now. 
You should definitely read this with your male or female middle schooler.  



My 7th grade inclusion teacher read this with her class.  I was excited because I have heard about this book my whole life but never read it.   My plan was to sit down each night and read the chapters as the class was moving.  The reality was as the students were testing and they came up to me for support I would speed read through the chapters in a frenzied speed read.   I didn't have time the night before, and I know there are things I missed.
I was intrigued by the story. 
It has to be one of the most thought provoking novels I have read in my whole live (truly).
This is a science fiction read that revolves around Jonas who lives in a comfortable, seemingly happy society where all the choices are made for you.   By age 12, Jonas is given the assignment of his life and learns a new perspective that changes him forever.  

I still can't tell you if I even like this book or not.  Sometimes I loved it and sometimes I didn't.
That was the impact it had on me. 
Just read it. 


Turkish Dramas
Now to the NEW addiction in my life....
TURKISH DRAMAS.
I don't even know how I ended up down this road but if someone doesn't stop me I'm soon going to be watching dramas full time while eating baklava and speaking Turkish to everyone.

Sol Yanim (My Left Side)
This is the first drama I ran across on youtube. It is about a poor girl who meets a rich boy and both their families hate each other. Oh my gah- the ANGST.
Apparently the Turkish people are very conservative, so there is no cursing, or making out, or violence. So it's basically a bunch of beautiful people staring at each other against a beautiful backdrop with dramatic Turkish music.
It is so fantastic
.....and I don't have a clue why.


Ada Masali (Island Tale)
I loved this one!!  
This is  story of Poyraz  (think of a Turkish Matthew McConaughey) and Ayca.  
Ayca is from the city and Poyraz grew up on the island and they HATE each other!!  Still they have to work together to create a hotel on the island and of course they fall in LOVEEEEE.  Then they get mad at each other over stupid things every two episodes.   The setting on this show was gorgeous (and the people even more so).  The actors Poyraz and Ayca fell in love in REAL life.  I know this because I follow the Turkish social media sites. 


I told you I had a problem.



Son Yaz (The Last Summer)
The mafia's son falls in love with the prosecutor's daughter.
This series ended suddenly and I'm still mad about some things 
and I'm not talking about it.

Siyah Beyaz Ask (Price of Passion)
Oh Gracious Y'all- this one was NUTS. Ferhat is an assassin but Asli is a doctor and he blackmails her into marrying him and then they fall in love and then he rejects her and more drama..... A lot of crying. Asli drove me crazy crying all the time.
SHEW
I really needed to get more sleep this month BUT

FERHAT KEPT ME AWAKE.
FERHAT WHYYYY YOU A JERK BUT WITH A HEART OF GOLD!?! 🤣

Bay Yanlis (Mr. Wrong)
Ezgi is a girl who keep getting taken advantage of by men. She later enters a deal with her neighbor (who is a TOTAL playa and the worst guy ever) to figure out what men really want and how to play the game to win.
Of course, all bets are off when HE falls in love with her.
It's like a Turkish version of "The Ugly Truth" with Katherine Heigl.



Aşk Mantık İntikam (Love, Logic, Revenge)

This is my favoriteeeee. It's still ongoing and I watch it every Saturday morning on Turkish Fox (you can get the app on Turkish 123).
Esra and Ozan grew up together and married young. Sadly, it didn't work out and they divorce early.
When Ozan becomes a self made millionaire, Esra shows back up wanting a job!! Ozan never forgot Esra and they have all sorts of insane adventures. These two are TERRIBLE at communication. He literally marries someone else when he gets mad at her over a miscommunication.
side note- I love the Turkish mothers, they are hilarious.


Yes. That's what I've been doing to keep sane.
I hope you all have a sport too!
See you in April.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment