Sunday, April 30, 2023

March/ April Reads

 

March and April have been full of reads, including a movie  from "Are You There God?, It's Me Margaret."

I was delighted that the movie was so close to the book. I read this book at age 12 and Carlee at 11.
It's a true 'coming of age' movie for any preteen girl of any era.  
We had a great time.  

We give it 10 out of 10 stars.


 
I'll try to make my synopsis quick.



This series is a young adult trilogy.  It tells the story of Jude who was seven when her parents were murdered.  She and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the High Court of Faerie.  The sisters face horrible backlash growing up in a land where they do not belong.  
Prince Jude (our Evil King) is the worst to Jude but as the series continues an unlikely relationship forms.  I really like how tough Jude was during the whole series.  I know I'm getting old because this was  just a little too "young adult" for me.  

First two books- 4 Stars
Last book - 3 Stars 





Sweet Summer is best friends to Carter Wilson (whom she has also harbored a crush on most of her life).  In order to help the Wilson brothers save their business, Summer agrees to marry Carter.
Via the family will, Summer ends up having to marry Lincoln the obnoxious older brother.  Summer was WAY too nice in this story, but Lincoln and Summer provided plenty of entertaining heat.  🔥🚒
4 Stars






Brinley Knox is looking for a little fun in Vegas, and she finds it in an old flame.  This old flame happens to be her first love and he happens to be obsessed with getting her back (oh yes, and he happens to be filthy rich now).
This is a typical rich girl meets poor boy story.  It was entertaining but had a lot more potential.

3 Stars 




Meet Carrie Soto.  
This is my fourth read from the author Taylor Jenkins Reid.  

I actually saw the author at a book talk where we got autographed books last year. 
I'm just now getting around to reading it.  It was perfect timing because my oldest is on his third year of playing high school tennis!
(Boy have I learned A LOT about the game in recent years.)

My Goodreads Review: 
'For about 60% of this book I did not like Carrie Soto, but I guess that is the point of her story. Can a hardworking woman with grit, talent, and skill be known for something more than how she looks or how much she is liked? 
I grew to like Carrie Soto and her laser focus to be the greatest female tennis player ever. I loved the vulnerable parts that began to show as the story progressed. Unlike many of Taylor Jenkins Reid books this ending left me with some closure.'





I checked this audio book out for free on Libby.  I had zero prior knowledge.  
Michelle Zauner is an indie rock star who penned a novel about her experience of loving and losing her mother.  I couldn't help but think about my own children while she was reading her tale, and how they would cope if I left this world.  It was very, very sad.   
Michelle uses food throughout the novel to connect to all the memories of her mother.  Growing up Korean, Michelle's mother was both overbearing and loving.  She describes shopping for Korean food at an H Mart and finally breaking down (thus the title).  
This was a really interesting and poignant tale.

4 Stars 


I've read this book twice with two different book clubs.
This story revolves around Ghost (real name Castle Cranshaw)  who has been given a very unfair hand in life.  He is poor, struggling, and is constantly conflicted due to trauma he experienced within his home.  Ghost's life changes when he encounters The Defenders- a traveling track team. Ghost has talent but he also continues to be pulled into making poor decisions.  

4 Stars 




I bought this book to help Carlee with her homework questions that she was unable to finish in class.  Basically Carlee had to read this book at school and at home.  It was a very deeply moving story.
The author actually came to Carlee's grade to give a book talk but guess who was sick that day?  Yep.  Carlee (and she was probably the only one who had to read the darn book twice).

This is the story of Ann Faye.  Ann Faye is all spunk.  With her father away at war to fight in WW2, Ann Faye takes on the role as the "man of the house".  She prides herself on being grown.  It's when the 1944 Polio epidemic impacts the family that this story pulls on the emotions.  This story tackles history, racism, death, responsibility, choices, and so much more. 

5 Stars 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment