Friday, August 4, 2023

Summer Reads (May- July)


I've been in a bit of a reading lull lately.  Nothing has really held my interests (and I have no idea if it's the books or my mind).  

 At the end of May- EOG prep, end of year stress, and deadlines came baring down, so I de-stressed in the evening with a SPY marathon 'kick'.  I mean "kick" both physically and literally.   I watched a ton of tv female spies "kick" butt. 

I started with La Femme Nikita on the Tubi app (free).  I loved this show in the 90s, and now I love it even more. Why don't we have shows like this anymore!?!   It was the biggest thing back in the day.  I could never get into the new remake, Nikita, but the classic lives on in my heart.      #FOREVERNikita&Michael.  

I moved on to watching some Alias.  I am still team Jennifer Garner to this day, and she was awesome in this role.    

Finally I ended with Citadel on Amazon Prime about two (sexy) Citadel spies who try to work together on a mission without having memory. Who doesn't love Priyanka Chopra Jonas??  She is amazing (loved her in Quantico too)!


Once I had watched all those SPY TV shows, I really wanted to read SPY books (but not the traditional James Patterson/Robert Ludlum stuff). 



Velvet by Lisette Marshall

DNF/ did not finish:  This one held my interest at the start about the protected princess of the castle who is very intrigued with the castle spy.  The character 'Velvet' seemed like a spunky lead who would soon do her own "spying".  I realized a few chapters in that the story was moving away from my imagined plot and toward craziness that no longer held my attention.  



Reborn by Meredith Wild

DNF:  I might go back and try this one but it dragged to the point, I got bored.  #ADD

This book is part of a 3 volume set.  It was recommended to me in a book group (had great reviews).  
Reborn tells the story of Tristan (who is like a Jason Bourne type).  He was specifically trained to be a spy and hitman.  Tristan doesn't really remember a lot in his past until he is hired to put a "hit" on Isabel Foster. You guessed it- Isabel is a woman from his past who does remember him. 


                          

Deadly Silence by Rebecca Zanetti

3 STARS:  This one is part of a 3 book set.  I've already bought book #2.  I had planned to read it on vacation but it never happened because I discovered murder case podcasts.    
#Rydker Jones runs a private/ spy agency with his brothers.  Both he and his brothers have a very uncanny ability to solve crimes and find people (almost supernatural).  Throughout the story, we learn there is another plot going on about the brothers who all came from the same orphanage.   I was constantly wondering about their past- Were they part of a government program gone wrong?  kidnapped? experimented on? 
Rydker is also tasked with solving a mystery with a local paralegal who happens to cross all of his personal boundaries if you get my drift...wink. wink.   
I need more answers about the past of Rydker.  I thought some of the storylines dragged a bit without resolve but overall enjoyed this one.  


******************************************************

 


 


Sweet Valley High by Nicole Andelfinger & Claudia Aguirre

3 Stars: Sweet Valley High was my JAM back in the day.  I could not read them fast enough.  I purchased two graphic novels for Carlee.  I'm not sure she loved these as much as I loved mine.  I read "Best Friends" with her on the kindle.  I think she prefers real books to the kindle.  Best Friends starts with twins Jessica and Elizabeth entering Middle School. Soon they realize they are quite different and don't do all the things like they use to do them.  Like it is with all girls, separation can be a very hard adjustment for friends and twin sisters to make.  I love the updated spin they put on the books, ie. they have to share a cell phone and use laptops for homework now. 
I give this one 3 stars because you can never beat the original. 


Ain't She Sweet by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

5 Stars REREAD: If I get in a reading rut I go to Susan Elizabeth Phillips (or Judith McNaught) to reenergize.  I've read Ain't She Sweet quite a few times.  I LOVE Sugar Beth Carey- former bad girl of Parrish, Mississippi.  Sugar Beth was popular, beautiful, rich, spoiled, and the Belle of the Town.  Only now she has returned back to her hometown broke, hurt, and devastated by the way her life has gone.  It doesn't help everyone in town hates her, including the former [hot] teacher she tried to get fired years ago.   I love the story between Sugar Beth and Colin.  Most of all I love Sugar Beth's redemption story in the small town of Parrish.


Beautiful Bad Man & Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O Connell

4 Stars for both: I totally switched gears from spies to westerns.  I've never read a western romance in my life.  My facebook reading group made me do it.   I loved the writing of Ellen O Connell!  She certainly has a knack for storytelling and mastering the fine art of 'slow burn'. 
Beautiful Bad Man tells the story of Norah and Caleb who once saved each other as children.  20 years later, their paths cross again and Caleb is tasked with taking the Kansas prairie from Norah (a new widow).  Eventually he ends up helping her in a "wedding bargain". They endure a lot of jerks but sometimes love wins! 

Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold tells the story of Anne and Cord who are thrown together in the most violent of circumstances. Those first chapters had me worried (Anne had the most horrible father ever).  Lucky she had Cord in the wild west to protect her and eventually show her true LOVE.   💗

*************************************************

July  Reads



 


You Deserve Each Other by Sarah Hogle

5 Stars: I found this gem a few weeks ago.  I've never read anything by Sarah Hogle but this one was so good.  Naomi and Nicholas are about to have the 'wedding of the year'.  The problem is Naomi is sooooo miserable.  Neither person wants to marry the other.  Instead of just breaking up (like normal people) they each try to get the other to be the responsible "dumper" leaving one person accountable for the debt from wedding planning. 
To read the antics of this couple as they try to annoy each other was pretty funny but it started to get really good when Naomi and Nicholas realized why they were going to get married in the first place.



No comments:

Post a Comment