Sunday, January 3, 2016

Our Hearts Rejoice in Him



This year I said 'no' to the Christmas play.  
Timing was in a way that play practice started while Connor had homework, Awana, football, and basketball all at the same time.  I didn't think he could do anymore and I knew I couldn't do anymore.  
I also knew that Carlee would NEVER detach herself from me to take a role.  I had decided we would just go and enjoy the show.  


It was Connor who was asked to be a wise man and he was on board for it.  His friends from church were doing it and he told me he wanted to also.  At times, he didn't want to run lines or attend the longer practices, but he understood and kept his commitment without trouble.


Parenting Tips 101:  
1. If you have a young energetic boy who volunteers for ANYTHING positive- support it.  2.  Good influences are important.

Next, I was told Carlee in fact wanted to be an angel in her Awana class.  (Apparently, she walked up with the others in practice.)

someone likes to take pictures like her mama


SO just like that, my kids were a part of the play.

The church play offered a Christmas message of hope, love, and rejoicing in the birth of Christ... 

all of which can be lost when you are the mother of a child in the play.



Don't judge me.  I just wasn't feeling so spiritual when trying to calm nerves, rehearse lines, discipline backstage behavior, find lost hair pins, argue about the costume, finding toys/ puzzles/ snacks/ songs/ coloring/ etc. to entertain,  clean up messes, missing cell phone, silliness on stage, tears before showtime, and just when I was about to pull my hair out.....  the show began.



I am still.  I hold my breath (while I hold my angel) and our three little wild, wise men came out to say their lines loud and clear.   They nailed it.

My son proudly said all of his lines including "and one star shone more brightly than all the others.... and just like Jesus sent his Son that would lead the world out of darkness, this bright star led them to Bethlehem."

....and suddenly my cup was so filled with up with the goodness of God.  


Really, one could name 100 reasons why the birth of Christ should not have happened.  I mean there was such political turmoil, the anger of such powerful people, difficulty in travel, family shunning, the possibility of medical complications, no solid place to live, the massacre of innocence... the list goes on.  Yet, God gave us one reason why Jesus would be born.  
His one trumps anything else. Just like the children sing, 'If God is for us, who can stand against us?" 
Don't let anyone stop you from your relationship with God, there is no reason that could stand against His birth and sacrifice.
Jesus was born for me, He was born for my family, He was born for everyone!



Then my precious angel (who prior would NOT detach herself from me during practice)  grabbed the hand of her little friend.  She walked to the front of the crowded church, and my shy, little angel started to SING.  Yes!  Carlee started to sing and bob her head.
Rejoice in Him!



I was so touched, I forgot about my outfit (that may or may not have been clean), the cheerios under my feet, the pocketbook that had been turned upside down, and I just let myself rejoice in our church children delivering such a powerful message.





Behold the Lamb of God has come
Behold the Lamb of God has come
Behold the Savior is born
Sing of His love
To everyone


Today our hearts rejoice in him
Today our hearts rejoice in him
Today the light of His birth
Fills us with hope
And brings peace on earth




Merry Christmas to All
and
Blessed New Year




























No comments:

Post a Comment