Saturday, January 2, 2016

The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan

This Christmas, my colleague and friend handed over her precious kindle FILLED with books as a gift to me.  I can say I’m having fun with it Mrs. D!


I couldn’t wait to “dive” right in with a book on my wish list:  The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan.


If the author's goal was to leave me on the edge of the seat- goal attained.  I finished it at 3am this morning, and then I googled as many reviews as I could.
I wanted a little more insight.  I don’t have closure people.  If this book was an ex-boyfriend, I would still be texting it repeatedly asking ‘what really happened?’


For me, character development is very important and (gosh darn it) the narrator of The Lifeboat was as slippery as a fish.  I could NOT figure out who Grace really was in this story.  As a matter of fact, (nerd alert) there are so many characters in this story I made a spreadsheet to keep up with who was what and made my own theories.  I also envisioned Grace to look more like a deceptive Grace Kelly (with dark hair). 



The time is 1914, and the story is told from the narrator- Grace Winter.   An ocean liner (not the Titanic) suffers an explosion, placing Grace and 38 people in the Atlantic Ocean on one little lifeboat.  Difficult choices are made and the story opens up with Grace Winter on trial for murder…..



I will leave you there.
I highly recommend and suggest you do your laundry before starting this book.













No comments:

Post a Comment