Thursday, May 31, 2018

Keep Calm and Test On

This week is EOG week!
Like I told my students, "it's been ten years since I have administered a standardized test".  
Students:  "Didn't you test at [primary school]??"
Me:  "Yes, but not 'you might lose your job' test".

There are many rules to being a test administrator (especially one who implements specific testing mods) and it requires a lot of reading, highlighting, and rules.  


And, even though I tell my kids not to focus on scores and numbers but just work hard (I confess I get focused on scores and numbers, insert breathing into a paper bag).  I take on a lot of stress this time of year (my own fault).

This week I  needed something positive, so I decided to write (by hand) each one of my students a letter (are you impressed?  I could have did it in cursive also.  I know cursive).  



It really made me feel better because I was able to focus on attributes that were important.  








#MyKiddo


If you are like me, end of year never brings a lot of money (because you have spent it all on yearbook, summer clothing, parties, upcoming camps, trips, etc), but I do encourage you to take the time to remember a teacher that may have impacted your child's life whether it be a phone call, a note, or a candy bar (we scoff at nothing).  A small offering of appreciation goes a long way.    

For Connor's Teachers:
By middle school, I think most are done with the "teacher gifts" but I couldn't let this year go by without thanks.   This team helped Connor Me relax a little more this year.  
I think Connor found some real joy in learning.


 


ela- dr. teal/math- expo/ ss- pencil sharpener/ science- choc. covered peanuts
I gave each one something small they needed in their classroom paired with one little tube of chapstick BEE-cause they rock. 



For Carlee's teachers:
These two teachers are just special.
They really took Carlee far, and helped her with a lot of issues (anxiety, shyness, letter recognition, confidence).  




I got cracked up at my friend's son (who loves his fourth grade teacher so much) who wants to buy his teacher a $500.00 necklace.   I feel the same way about our two K teachers.  I went with a more budget friendly gift of tin summer buckets complete with a beach towel, Pioneer Woman water bottle (don't you love Pioneer Woman??), and summer magazine.  


I ask everyone to set yourself a goal this weekend:
hug a student and/or a teacher because they need it! 


No comments:

Post a Comment