Monday, April 27, 2020

The Girl with a Pearl Earring


We are barely hanging on in this digital learning era but in the mix are a few fun projects.  I wanted to share this one from Carlee's art class.


This week Carlee's art teacher challenged her to the Getty Museum Challenge.
You can learn more about it here.





 I really had no clue what we were going to do.  I mean so much art and so little time, right!?    Luckily this morning I saw my friend's picture on Facebook for inspo.

I just fell in love with this picture.
Isn't her daughter absolutely beautiful as Frida Kahlo?


Self Portrait Dedicated to Dr Eloesser

Immediately I thought of
'The Girl with a Pearl Earring' by Johannes Vermeer.


I think Carlee's sweet face was perfect for this recreation.
Here are 15 facts about this oil painting- here



We tried to pull as many items/like colors around the house that might work for this picture.


Carlee was annoyed that we could not be exact but I told her that was the fun of the 'project' to take what you have and build.  It's all about imagination. 


Connor even let us cut up a pair of his blue shorts.


While I don't own a pearl earring like in the painting, some critics felt the pearl earring in the painting looked like a fake.  One quote "... it looks more like polished tin than pearl on the grounds of the specular reflection".  
I decided to cover one candy corn earring with foil and one with white paper. Needless to say, I really felt the shiny was captured on the camera best.


Also this child was getting a bit tired and was in no mood to change earrings.



We had a challenge with pinning my silk shirt to her head (I tried to use my black shirt as a back drop).



We also had a big challenge with getting a 'serious' pose like the model in the painting.  She would giggle and everything would fall off of her head.
I told her there was no way she could have sat for 10 hours (like the original) for me to paint! 




Even though her headpiece was off, 
I thought her sweet face and grey eyes made the painting! 

Carlee as The Girl with A Pearl Earring




No comments:

Post a Comment