Sunday, July 19, 2020

The Book Nook: Genesis Begins Again

Genesis Begins Again





Title:  "Genesis Begins Again"
Author:  Alicia D. Williams
Rating:  5/5 Stars
Genre: Intermediate/ Young Adult


I loved this book.  I give it 5/5 stars!!  I began this book because it was on the middle school 'Battle of the Books' list for 2020, realistic genre is my fav, and I was super excited to support an African American author (who is both local and a teacher).   I can't wait until after quarantine to look for a meet and greet with this author.  I also give this cover 5/5 stars.  I have a thing for book covers. 

Alicia D. Williams takes us on a journey with a young, strong black female character named Genesis.  Don't you love that name?  From the first pages, my heart connected with this girl.  You learn immediately that Genesis has a deep love and devotion for her family, but like in most families there are problems.  Not only is Genesis' father an alcoholic, but her grandmother also exhibits her own form of racism whenever there is discussion of family history. 
As we go on this journey with Genesis, we see that in addition to family strife she has to navigate middle school bullies,  self imagine issues, and struggles in finding self.  These are real issues facing our kids today.

An encounter with authentic friends, an amazing music teacher, and more than a few crazy beauty treatments really change Genesis.  I wanted to reach in the book and comfort her and tell her that she is amazing.   I loved that this story was realistic and didn't rush to fit this perfect 'after school special ending'.  I think all of us could relate to Genesis and her family. 

You have to read this one, it is so good! 



No comments:

Post a Comment