Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Flour in Her Hair

It’s been a day.

A creative 11 year old gent 

told me he couldn’t work 

because his legs were cold,

and then proceeded to fashion 

two hard, brown paper towel scarves 

around his knees, 

while I taught him 

to exceed all expectations.

The daughter came in at the end of the day. 

I’m hot.

I’m tired.

I hate school.

I can’t do this 'stuff'.

I threaten “I WILL add 20 more HW problems IF

you don’t get serious…

and quit gripping!!”

The son texts he forgot practice 

and his tennis racquet.

I’m getting really frustrated.

Before I walk out of the building, 

I learn that I will be making yet ANOTHER

transition to my schedule.

I’m spread so thin that I’m transparent. 

We get home.

“Pick up YOUR STUFF!”

“Charge your computers.” 

“Put your mask in the laundry.”

“Unpack lunchboxes.”

I check my school email.

I need to contact a parent.

I could ignore it but I'm that parent.

I know too well

the feelings involved 

with concerns.

I have dinner, grading, and a meeting to prepare.

Then the daughter asks… 

“Can I Help?”

I’ve worked, 

directed, 

assisted, 

and navigated ALLLL day.

“NO!”  

“I’m in a hurry!!!”

“I want to get this done!!”

“GO!”

She says, 

“I thought it would help me with my day” 

with a pitiful look 

that was given to her 

from a direct bloodline 

of my ancestors.

Ok.   

“You can help.”

I try not to tense as she

moves flour for the chicken 

to every crook 

and cranny 

of the space.

It's like watching Iron Chef

the blindfolded version.

The dog settles directly under our feet.

I learn that today was her worst exploratory. 
It’s hard and she is nervous.  

She lives with the fear of knowing 

she will not have the answer.

Anxiety is as much a part of the day as

the click of the keyboard.

Two teachers noticed her new hair cut, 

but not her best friend.

She told me about the whimsical boys,

and the girl who gifted her a 

small pink bottle of bubbles

nestled in her bag, 

for safe keeping.

PE is the favorite.

Art is good too.

Why can’t the world teach all art (and all PE)?

She really hopes it snows 

and NO remote learning

and NO school ever.

Did you know her favorite wrestler 

The Fiend 

has never lost a match 

in the history of WWE?

I start some music.

Tootsie Roll because of the lines 

Now dip, baby, dip

Come on let's dip, baby, dip

Baby, dip, baby, dip (just dip baby)

Because we are “dipping” the chicken, 

of course.

That leads into Bell Biv DeVoe and Salt N Pepa 

and I talk about ‘the day’

that I imagined 

myself as

2 legit 2 quit.  

I dance.  

I can’t help myself.

You know what??

I'm still 2 legit 2 quit.

She asks me about buttermilk.

"You’ve never drank buttermilk?”

Nope

“Take a taste.”

Yuck Face.

“Trust me it’s better with butter 

and flour 

wrapped around a chicken.”

She warms the water for the mashed potatoes.

I say, 

“you can play while the chicken bakes.”

Before she steps down from her stool

she yells

“LOOOK!  

It’s a RED BIRD!!!”

The splash of color stands out against the winter.

“Some say a cardinal is always delivering a message from heaven.”

She takes a few minutes to study, 

and then

she walks away 

with a smile on her face 

and

flour in her hair.


No comments:

Post a Comment