Sunday, October 30, 2022

September/ October Reads






Taylor Jenkins Reid Signing and Much More….


I'm not going to lie, nothing kills my desire to read like a full time job. Why can't I just get paid to read and eat snacks?!   I'm so dead tired at the end of the day that I literally fall asleep by 9pm, and that doesn't leave a ton of time for reading.  I did try!!

Can we first talk about my book meet/ greet in September with the one... the only... TAYLOR JENKINS REID (aka. Malibu Rising, Daisy Jones, Evelyn Hugo)?!?!?!  

She is the hottest author around right now and most of her novels are currently being turned into series on Hulu and Netflix.   

I can't wait.

Reid was awesome!!  My friend Julie from my high school let me know about this opportunity, and we decided we had to meet up (both of us are fans).  My only regret is we didn't get more time to socialize (because it was a school night, and we have kids, and a long drive, and we are old folks now...).   We had a great time!!  Julie has been keeping it real since 1997 and I LoVe IT! 





We both got autographed copies of Carrie Soto is Back.  With tennis being all the rage in my house, I really can't wait to read this one over holiday break.
 






NightWork by Nora Roberts

I just keep trying to regain my original love affair with Nora Roberts but it isn't working out.    Fall is in the air, Halloween is approaching, and I could NOT resist the story about a jewel thief with morals.
The first half of the book tells the story of Harry Booth from boy to adult.  I loved the story of how Harry came to be a jewel thief.  Every time he planned a heist I thought,  'is he gonna get caught here or what!?!'  I loved his mom, his aunt, and most of all the amazing people he met in his travels (including Chapel Hill, North Carolina).
Then about 60% into the book, I was forcing myself to finish.  I love a slow build but this one draggggedddd.
The love interest between Harry and 'the one that got away' was sweet.
You have to love a bad criminal turned good. 
3/5 Stars




After five hours of IEP paperwork,  I was in the market for a cheap, paperback romance and this one provided cheap.
It reminded me slightly of a modern version of....


my allllll time favorite romance novel:  Paradise
Paradise will never be beat. EVER.
Ruthless Rival tells the story of Ayra and Christian-  your typical poor boy meets rich girl story line goes bad. 
Things get really exciting when Christian grows up to be a rich, charming, and ruthless lawyer and guess what?  Yes. I know you guessed it.  He meets up with Ayra.  
She doesn't even know who he is but that doesn't stop the flames from a firin' baby!!
This one -๐ŸŒถ๐ŸŒถ๐ŸŒถ๐ŸŒถ
 
4/5 Stars




I picked this one because you know, Halloween.
I wanted a quick but fun read that was seasonal.  This one did NOT disappoint.   Reggie is pretty much a hot mess with a hot mess family.  She takes a position with what she assumes is her favorite card game company, but turns out she becomes an assistant to a REAL LIFE WITCH.
Things heat up when she keeps running into the grumpy and handsome Warlock Ben Magnus.  This was so cute because Reggie wasn't really buying into the magic stuff until the middle of the book. 
She and Ben's banner was the best!  I laughed at lot reading this book
Don't be fooled by the cover because I was thinking Hallmark channel but it was surprisingly:  ๐ŸŒถ๐ŸŒถ๐ŸŒถ.

4/5 Stars





Now for my middle school read. 
 I'm so fortunate to work with ELA teachers who are up to date on the current reads.   Can you believe I've never read Alan Gratz!?  We started this one at the start of the year and I immediately downloaded it on my kindle.  WOW.   Wow.  WOW.
This book shares the story of Brandon when he was age 9.  The entire book is about his experience being trapped in the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.  Between the folds of Brandon's story is Reshmina's story that is set in current day Afghanistan.  
Brandon and Reshmina's stories take place 15-20 years apart and yet their experiences intertwine so beautifully.   I learned so much about Afghanistan through this book alone. 
I wanted to climb in the book and rescue Reshmina and Brandon, even though they were so resourceful, kind, and SMART!!   I want to protect ALL children from the horrors of terrorism.
To say this hit an emotional nerve for me is a total understatement! 

To remember the events before, during, and after on September 11, 2001 through the eyes of my 7th graders was a poignant experience that I can't put into words.  
Always Remember


5/5 Stars (I would give it 10 if I could)


Happy Reading My LOVES!


No comments:

Post a Comment