Saturday, June 29, 2019

Travels To Athens: VBS 2019


We just finished our visit to Athens, Greece with Paul the Missionary.
It was a far journey but worthwhile.



Meeting with the natives to spread the gift of God was a blessing.
Each tribe was named after one of the churches that Paul visited.  



During this VBS, children participated in arena games, class sessions, time with Paul, and visits to the Athens Marketplace.




This was all led by our fearless leader who worked tirelessly to execute our Athens experience.



In Paul's tent, he shared the truth about God's word through a very dangerous journey.  Paul's commitment stayed strong through much and we can all learn from him today.


Oikos Time:  leaders used object lessons to demonstrate the bible verse and teach spiritual lessons each night. 


I stayed mainly in the marketplace where the hustle and bustle of Greek life happened.



Children were given 3 drachmas to spend each day on their market of choice. 



Locals had a choice of visiting ways that Ancient Greece used animal skins and hides. 




We had a former park ranger "expert" share all of her knowledge! 



Locals could also choose woodworking each night led by our "expert" carpenter.  
The fellows who did this market, including Darren, had to work outside in the hot sun with tools and kids.  I had much respect for this market!   
The locals had BIG fun. 


In this market, our Greek "expert" lead the locals in homemade creations! 


We even had a plant "expert" with information in how the Greeks make their own food/ grains/ medicines.







I ran a different market each night.  
I think I got into the spirit of things a bit too much because everyone who led a market was "an expert" in that field meanwhile I just picked random things that I thought sounded cool.  
For example, my first night I would lead the locals in bread making (doesn't that sound wonderful)?



Never mind this required me to make 10 loafs of practice and spend a considerable amount of time doing research to figure out the formula to Greek bread and it's history. 

Just when I thought I got it right with a perfect loaf of bread, 
I began to wash out the bread pan and I noticed a plastic part missing.  
I looked all around until I realized.... 


oh. no.  
I checked the bottom of the bread.




I BAKED THE MIXING PADDLE INTO THE BREAD!
( I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW IT WAS CALLED A MIXING PADDLE UNTIL I GOOGLED IT)   


Needless to say, I went back to the drawing board. 
No locals were harmed in the making of my bread. 



I added other breads/foods such as pita and sourdough, feta cheese, olives, raisons, and honey/ olive oil for dipping.

I was really surprised that most children tried these Athen snacks and enjoyed them.


The locals loved kneading the dough!   They said it was like slime.
I guess kids don't work with dough much these days.

I even hid a bread-maker in the corner and baked a fresh loaf while the customers entered my market.  The whole church was filled with the delicious smells of home baked bread (Thank GOD) and not smoke! 




***The second night, I decided to teach the children their Greek letters and spelling.
(You know since I know so much about foreign language.  I only needed two tutors for college level one Spanish.)   
After a bit more research, I broke down and pulled out the computer to read all Greek translations to make the whole thing a lot easier.



Surprisingly-
I think the kids really απολαμβάνουν το!
(enjoyed it!)


I found these cute little ancient envelopes and was able to place the upper and lowercase alphabet in them for learning at home (even for the girls which went against ancient Greek tradition).  




The last night I just kept with the whole overachieving dream and decided to teach the locals a Greek Dance!  
Can I take a moment to thank Youtube (and the rewind. pause. rewind. pause. rewind. pause. options) that taught me this new dance the day before I was to teach it. 
Oh my gosh!
I didn't know what in the heck I was doing.



I did some MO' research: 
Folk dancing has been a mainstay tradition in Greece since the ancient times.  Folk dancing is as popular today as it was at its inception. 



I decided to go with a fairly easy group dance called the Zorba! 
Zorba’s dance became very popular in 1964 with a movie called Zorba the Greek with Anthony Quinn (I've never watched it) but its' origins are in ancient Greece called the Butcher’s Dance.  

I cut sashes for the locals to wear during this traditionally festive dance.  I probably looked like Napoleon Dynamite the whole time but I do believe dancing is in my blood! 



I love this picture.
Carlee was the only girl in her group the first night, and she was terribly distressed about it.  We brainstormed a friend who might really enjoy coming along.  Luckily her friend O. did join.  She was such a joy and had so much fun.  Her enthusiasm was contagious for everyone.
You can see it in this picture.  


By the end of the night, my legs, back, neck, and calves hurt but I had a great time. I definitely know more about Greece history than I ever knew before this VBS.
Opa! 




Connor also had the best time with the youth.   He could not wait to get in the car each night to go to church.
Thank you Jesus for any 13 year old that wants to go to church (especially mine).  

Ending the week with fun, games, and ice cream was literally the cherry on top! 



God is Good People!  Just ask Paul all about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment