Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Arctic Adventures

I can say that this summer has had very little down time.  It is just going by too fast.   
Last night I was feeling really bad because I have not been working with Carlee and Connor on school skills, and I also have not followed through with my plans to deep clean my house.  Now the time is almost gone.  :(  
With all the planned trips, camps, and work commitments it was productive in a different way, so I will give myself a break.

One successful summer event was our Vacation Bible School.  For the first time in a long time, I did NOT do the drama.  Instead I was a teacher for grades PreK-1.  
I have taken part in VBS since I was a teenager.  I remember one VBS (I was 20 something years old), I was given PreK- K to teach and I had a pretty large group.  By the second night I called the preacher in and demanded that he PLEASE move me out because these kids were Out Of Control!!  I had planned all these lessons and these wild children would not listen, would not sit, would not be quiet!!  I was losing my mind.  My preacher was so patient to move me out of the room without judgement.  Luckily times have changed.  Yes, there were times we were certainly wild but this time it was fun.  I feel proud that my experience as a mother and teacher has helped me be more flexible, lean on God, and appreciate the value of an active child.



Invites for Operation Arctic

In the VBS invites, I used marshmallows, chocolate morsels, orange tic tacs, and pretzels for children to make their own snowman.  I placed the bags inside a second bag filled with glitter sand (that looked like snow).   It turned out so cute. 


   
before blizzard

after blizzard

Let's travel to the Arctic to learn about the 'coolest' bible on the planet.  


 I tried to place the shiny material above the igloo in a manner that looked like the Northern Lights but I just couldn't get it to lay right.  I finally just draped it over the tent and placed a flashlight inside to shine on the cloth stars.


In between our bible lessons, I had play based centers that went along with our VBS theme.

Build an Igloo 
(blocks covered in white paper)
Make Hot Chocolate






I will take one hot chocolate please.  Hiking makes me cold and thirsty. 

Fake Snow play


Penguin Play
Arctic Vet

                             


 

We had a bit of drama with the nightly puppet show, which was a hoot because the kids kept saying "I KNOW IT'S YOU!"  (Really?  It's not like my body is three times bigger than my puppet stand.  😍)







It got pretty messy most nights but the kids were so sweet and had a lot of fun (even Carlee began to participate and take part in the lesson by the end of the week).  

I absolutely LOVED working with Ms. H.
She has four boys of her own and I LOVE her sense of humor and her relaxed nature.









All Scripture is given by inspiration of God. 
-2 Timothy 3:16



Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock. 
 -Matthew 7:24





I rejoice at Your word as one who finds great treasure.  
-Psalm 119:  162 









Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.  
-Psalm 119: 105 







...and the best news of all?  One of the children in our group gave her life to Jesus Christ and was saved!
That was totally worth the trip to the coldest place on the planet.  
 
But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.  
-Romans 5:8 



God is just so good all of the time! 


No comments:

Post a Comment